Julia

Julia

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

As time goes on

I am settling in here in Merida. I can find my way to the two plazas, the cable company (sometimes) the airport, Fedex, Mega super store, Walmart, Home Depot and Merida Clinic. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? well it isn't, this city has a lot of one way streets and streets that are two way all of a sudden turn into one way against the direction I am traveling in so that causes me confusion. Also there is a lot of traffic and the use of horns is frequent and annoying. I keep remembering France and the prohibition of horn use in many of the towns and villiages, how wonderful that seems now.
I am planning to apply for my FM-3 rentista visa; a rather buerucratic process of letters, forms, photos, and procedures. One of the letters requires the names of two Mexican citizens with their addresses and phone numbers, some say you need their signetures as well as this information. I don't kow two Mexicans that would give me that information. I asked my landlord and he brushed me off saying he didn't understand. Well, he understands just doesn't want to get involved with Immigration. Who knows what they will do with this information? Also I have recieved conflicting information about whether to apply for an FM-2 or an FM-3. I don't plan to work here just live here full time. Very frustrating, trying to figure this all out and find my way around the city at the same time. Add that the weather has been very cold for here and I am ill prepared for such cold weather and my frustration level has increased. I suppose it all will work out eventually.
Today I hope to find the local Post Office and mail a letter to my grandson in Marine boot camp, I don't want him to think that I forgot about him.
Well, I accomplished what I set out to do, I found the Post Office, not without a bit of driving around lost as usual. Now let's see how long it takes for him to get the letter.

5 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

Apply for the FM3. It´s simpler.

Julia said...

What if I want to become a permenant resident of Mexico? The time on the FM-3 doesn't count. Of course that is this year :-)

Pete said...

We just started the process for FM2 and should have them in two weeks. Used an Abogado - the process was very simple. If you plan to stay in Mexico for longer than five years, you may want to look into the FM2. Otherwise the FM3 is the same, and less expensive in the short term.

Anonymous said...

The FM2 visa is for those wishing to become naturalized citizens of Mexico and is more restrictive than an FM3....e.g. you cannot own a US plated vehicle if you have an FM2 and you have restrictions on how many days a year you can be out of Mexico.

An FM3 visa is for those who want residency but do not intend to seek citizenship. There are two types...one for those wishing to work and one for those who are pensionados...for the latter you need to prove a certain level of income that is derived from sources outside of Mexico....go to immigration and ask them for the rules and then search on other Mexico forums like the one for Lake Chapala....there is always lots of discussion about this topic. KK

Julia said...

I know what an FM2 is for and the restriction on an FM2 for being out of the country,according to some sources is 18 months within the 5 years. The FM2 is also for those who want to be permanent residents of MX. With an FM3 there is a possiblity that at some point that it won't be renewed for any number of reasons like not meeting the financial rules, or they set a limit on the number of times one can renew. Even an FMT can be refused at the whim of border officals. At this time it is in MX best interest to let foriegners rside in MX rather easily who knows what is in store in the future.