Julia

Julia

Sunday, November 18, 2007

What am I looking for in Mexico?


I have asked myself that question several times. I get different answers every time I ask.

Mexico is not all beauty and marvelous sunsets and Mariachis strumming guitars. Mexico is also graffiti on walls, dog shit on sidewalks, people pushing you in line or just cutting in line. It is also poor people, living in terrible conditions without running water or sewers living hand to mouth. Even with this mental picture in my mind there is something about this country that pulls on one's imagination or (dare I say it) heart strings.

I don't know if some people are preprogrammed to feel affinity for other cultures or is it a subtle education process that begins early in life and is reinforced by successive experiences that prepare you for a time when you want to experience a place like Mexico a totally foreign place to people north of the border.

The question still remains, what am I looking for? In a way, a new life, a new home different than anything in the past. I feel I must not tarry and get on with this new life as quickly as possible there is only just so much time. I am hoping that this time, in this place, I get the life I always wanted .... what ever that is going to be. To quote a famous movie "life is like a box of chocolates ya never know what your going to get" this time it is Mexican Chocolate.

No comments: